Wednesday 13 June 2012

Onix RH Pro

If you've never heard of bike algebra, you may never have heard of the formula N+1, this is the algebraic formula for the optimum number of bikes you can own, where N = your current number owned.  On that basis, let me introduce my latest +1, the Onix RH Pro.

Onix RH Pro

I've owned an Onix Azzuro for over a year now and it's - without doubt - the best bike in my stable.  Stiff, fast and very whippy at the front end, I always feel quick when I ride it.  Since owning the bike I've stayed in close contact with Onix owner - Craig Middleton - and have assisted him in the background with a number of things to get the brand established and the business firing on all cylinders.  I'm a big supporter of challenger brands, Onix is a perfect example of one.
 
When Craig first showed me the frameset for the Onix RH Pro, it was obvious it was a winner.  Manufactured in UDM carbon, a flowing chainstay design, huge BB30 bottom bracket and really tight geometry, it promised to be a top performer, coming in under 1kg in weight.  Craig had gone to huge lengths to source a really top end frameset which would rival the framesets from the well known brands.

Former professional - Rob Hayles - did all the testing of the frameset and confirmed exactly that, a frameset he could have won races on - period.  When the paint schemes were put together, it really set the bike off.  A stealthy matt black paint job offset by striking red accents on the inside of the rear chainstays and forks plus a bold stripe on the headtube, really put it a step above anything else out there.



Initial response to the RH range has been excellent, with the cycling press all recognising the bikes attributes and the Rob Hayles testing programme as being something quite unique to Onix

Since seeing the RH Pro, I've been hankering after one and decided to recently take the plunge and order one from Onix, I took delivery of it this week.

Specification

Onix Black RH Pro
Ultegra Grey Groupset
Look Carbon Pedals
FSA Stem and Bars
Onix Carbon Seatpost
Selle Italia Gel Flow saddle
Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels (wheels I already owned).
Continental GP4000 tyres

I've not ridden it yet, was waiting to get a new cassette on my Ksyrium rear hoop following a re-build which is now fitted, so all being well it will see its first tarmac this weekend.  I'll be riding this bike on the upcoming London to Paris event, so hopefully I'll be able to do it justice.  More pictures below: -



Ultegra Grey 50/34
Huge BB30 Bottom Bracket

View from the Rear- Like the Inside rear chainstays

Like the Gloss Onix "O" on the top tube
View from the front (ignore the fork sticker, there for L2P)
FSA stem and bars

Paint scheme continues on the headtube

No comments:

Post a Comment