Sunday 13 June 2010

Double Century


Been a good couple of weeks on the bike. Managed to do over 100 miles in two consecutive weeks. Got loads of rides coming up over the Summer, so it's important to me to keep this sort of mileage up.

The miles ln the saddle just seem to tick by at the minute. Once the crank arms start turning, thirty or forty miles seem to pass quickly. Having done sixty miles on the Friday/Saturday this week, my legs were a little heavy this morning, so I decided to take it easy on the ride up to todays North Cheshire Clarion club ride (route here). The ride from home is about seven miles and I took it slow, only averaging around 14mph and spinning high on the cadence.

Once we got going on the club run, the legs felt warmed up and we spun round the 42 mile route at an average of around 16.6mph. Peeking out of home first this morning, any hope of taking the Dolan out on its maiden club ride were again dashed. It had rained overnight, so I took the Specialized out (my #2 bike is a Specialized Secteur Sport).

Good turnout today. Sixteen of us made a decent chain gang and a couple of new club members to natter to, made the time fly by. Chatting with new member Gary, who'd never ridden in a large group before, he commented on what a difference it made to his effort level and speed. It's one of the benefits of being in a club (meeting new people and improving your fitness).

So, I'm happy with how things are going at the minute. Next major ride for me is London to Dover which I'm doing as the first leg of a London to Paris run that one of my customers is doing on the 2nd of July. It's around ninety miles and I'm feeling well prepared for it. I'm going to be interested to see what my total mileage ends up at for 2010, all being well I'll be able to hit around 4000. If current levels continue, I may well exceed that. Let's hope so.

3 comments:

  1. Nice bit of advice Phil, I suffer from a bit of neck ache after 50 miles or so, so I'm going to try this out next ride ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A double century is 200 miles within a 24 hour period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, seems I've claimed a double century inappropriately! You live and learn.

    ReplyDelete